It will blow your mind that the simple ingredients in this soup add up to this much flavor.
“Holy shit Batman, I have an explosion of flavor happening in my mouth that I did not expect from this vegan soup” (is what you might say after trying it for the first time).
It is also THE perfect soup for this time of year. It’s as comforting as wearing a Hello Kitty Snuggie while sitting in front of a crackling fire with your cat on your lap and drinking
a bottle of booze hot cocoa. Nope. It’s a bottle of booze. Tis the season M’F%^&ers.
Makes 2 quarts (half this recipe if you don’t want as much. but you do. trust me.)
What You Need:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 heaping teaspoon turmeric root, peeled and grated
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 2 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced into pieces (about 10 cups)
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 4 cups veggie broth (use whichever is your fave)
- Salt and pepper to taste
How To Do It:
- Heat olive oil and saute the garlic, ginger, turmeric, onion and carrot for 5 minutes.
- Add the squash, apple and broth and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 25 minutes until all of the veggies are soft. Turn off heat and allow to cool for 15-20 minutes.
- Transfer soup into a blender in batches and blend until creamy and smooth. You will have t blend it in a few batches depending on the size of your blender.
- Pour blended soup back into pot (you will have to put it in another pot since you won’t be able to blend it all in one go) and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with toasted pumpkin seeds when serving.
To toast the pumpkin seeds, place them evenly in one layer in a heated cast iron skillet. Cook on low, turning occasionally for a few minutes, until the seeds are toasted but not burnt. Drizzle a little soy sauce over them at the end for a nice salty flavor.
Fresh ginger and turmeric sets this soup apart. If you can’t find fresh then you can use dried but the fresh roots will make a huge difference in flavor.
If you like this recipe, sign up for our newsletters and get recipes that we only send in email (scroll down and pop in your name and email and hit the orange >)
Also, our new book is out and it’s pretty much the best thing since the Big Wheel.
It’s filled with mouth watering vegan everyday comfort food.
Rock n’ Roll.